“I’m stuck.” “I’m not in an environment where I can be creative.” “I’m not provided with the resources to develop professionally.” “I’m unaware of my options.” “I just don’t have what it takes.” “I don’t know how to take the next step.”
- Are you earning a paycheck, or are you in an environment that allows your skills, your brain, and your talent to flourish?
- Do you wake up expecting to go do “stuff,” or are you excited about the contribution you’re going to make to the vision for your organization or company?
- Do you have opportunities to contribute and shape where things are going?
- Do you feel heard?
- Are you taking professional development classes, pursuing a certification, or an advanced degree?
- What is happening in your life at work that will have you at a different place in 36 months, in 5 years, in 10 years?
- Have you chosen to do the same thing, because you’re in your sweet spot, or have you failed to pay attention to creating the professional experience you would like to have?
- Do you talk to people who have jobs you would like to have to find out what their day is really like and what you need to do in order to be considered for that position?
- Are you willing to make the effort to get what you want?
- Have you considered all the aspects of your life and whether a change is realistic given other responsibilities you may have?
- Are you waiting for someone to notice you and hope that you’ll be offered a promotion instead of actively seeking it?
- Do you fade into the background or champion yourself?
- Are you hoping for a raise, or are you creating opportunities to shine, contribute, take on more responsibility and asking for appropriate compensation?
- Have you sought out someone who can partner with you on creating this journey?
Will you choose to design your professional life, or hope it happens to you? It’s all in your hands!